Monday, November 12, 2007

Week 6: Library 2.0 & Web 2.0

Away from the Icebergs: opened my eyes in the area of "weeding"! Surprise! I really enjoy weeding, to keep the collection smart looking, up to date, and able to fill the demands of the community. However, I hate doing away with some of the "older" materials that contain great information and take up space because they really aren't part of the community's demands - but "might be requested" someday by someone needing the info. Well, by gosh, all that info. is on the web and with 2.0, it is easily accessed. So - I will be reviewing many of the items on the shelves that are "taking up space in case they are needed in the future" but not really a "demand" from the community.
Also, I like 2.0 because of the ease and accessibility that the consumers can use without training - that focus is super! AND, that is why I feel pride in our HCPL system when I go visit other libraries - even in big cities - that just are not "up with us". I really feel that we keep on the forefront with our technology. I can see where, now and in the future, more budget money should go to network services and perhaps less in books - books that are on the reference shelves that are never used, opened or needed (depending on the community the branch serves).
So - after reading these articles, I am totally amazed and better informed about 2.0 (library & web). Thanks soooo much!

No comments: